The firm of Ward and Lock was founded by Ebenezer Ward and George Lock in 1854.
In 1865 , Charles T. Tyler became a partner in the firm.
James Bowden (who had worked in the company since 1869) and John Lock (George Lock's brother) became a partners in early 1880's but names not added to books until later.
When George Lock dies in 1891, James Bowden's name is added to books.
They went through various company names over the years:
The principal members of the publishing firm were:
- 1855 - Ward and Lock
- 1865 - Ward, Lock and Tyler
- 1873 - Ward and Lock, This, after Tyler leaves the firm BUT they SEEM to have used Ward, Lock and Tyler until the move in 1878
- 1878 (After September) - Ward, Lock & Co
- 1882 - (Verne book noted with) Ward, Lock & Co
- 1891 - Ward, Lock, Bowden and Company (see above, re George Lock's death)
- 1893 - Ward, Lock and Bowden Limited
- 1897 - Ward, Lock & Co. Ltd. (when James Bowden retires)
- 1901 - Ward Lock & Co., Limited (maybe earlier, see above line)
- Ebenezer Ward ( - 1902)
- George Lock (- 1891)
- Charles T. Tyler
- James Bowden
Logos for Ward Lock ...
|Ward, Lock and Tyler
||Ward, Lock and Co
Addresses of the firm:
- 1873 - Sept. 1878 - Ward, Lock and Tyler - Warwick House, Paternoster Row, London
- 1878 - 1882 - Ward, Lock & Company - Warwick House, Salisbury Square, E.C., London
- 1882 - Ward, Lock and Company, Warwick House, Salisbury Square, London & Bond Street, New York (when the New York office opened)
- 1884 - Ward, Lock and Company, Warwick House, Salisbury Square, London & Bond Street, New York, & Melbourne (when the Melbourne, Australia office opened)
- 1891 - Ward, Lock, and Bowden Limited - Warwick House, Salisbury Square, E.C., London