Anne Toppan Wilbur
1817 - 1864

Anne Toppan Wilbur (Anne T. Wilbur) (married name Anne T. Wood) was a translator in the mid 19th century. She translated works from French into English.

She has translated under the following pseudonyms:
-Anne T. Wilbur (her maiden name)
-Mrs. Annie T. Wood & Anne Toppan (Wilbur) Wood (her married name)
-Mrs. John Procter (also her married name?)
-Florence Leigh (a pseudonym of unknown origin (to me) )

She has the distinction of having translated the first known appearances of Jules Verne stories in English!

The 2 Jules Verne works that she translated are:

  1. A Voyage in a Balloon BY JULES VERNE  Translated from the French by Anne T. Wilbur.

  2. (This, the First appearance of Jules Verne in the English Language, anywhere)
    Sartain's Union Magazine of Literature and Art, 
    Philadelphia, May 1852, Vol X, No. 5,pgs 389-395, 0 illustrations, two chapters.
    (book listing)

    & reprinted as

    Voyage in a Balloon (From the French of JULES VERNE.)
    (This, the First appearance of Jules Verne in the UK)
    The Working Man's Friend and Family Instructor, 
    London, Saturday July 31, 1852, New Series - Vol II., No. 44, pgs 282-286, 0 illustrations, two chapters.
    (book listing)

    -Its' first French appearance was: 
    La science en famille. Un voyage en ballon. (Réponse à l'énigme de juillet.)
    Musée des familles, seconde série, vol. 8, no. 11  (August 1851),pp. 329-336  with 5 illustrations by A. de Bar, two chapters.

  3. The Pearl of Lima. A Story of True Love. Translated from the French of M. Jules Verne by Anne T. Wilbur

  4. Graham's Magazine, 
    Philadelphia, April 1853, Vol XLII, No. 4, pgs 422-445, 0 illustrations, nine chapters.
    (book listing)

    -Its' first French appearance was:
    L'Amérique du Sud. Moeurs péruviennes. Martin Paz, nouvelle historique
    Musée des familles, seconde série, vol. 9, no. 20 (July 1852), pp. 301-313 and no. 21 (August 1852), pp. 321-335 with 11 illustrations by E. Forest, E. Berton and C. Brux, 9 chapters.

Through my research, I have found these other stories and books that she has translated (not Verne related):
  • The Sheperd of the Valley of Mugello by ?

  • Sartain's Union Magazine of Literature and Art, Philadelphia, 1849
  • The Solitary of Juan Fernandez; or, The Real Robinson Crusoe. by Joseph Xavier Boniface Saintine

  • Ticknor, Reed, and Fields, Boston, 1851
  • The Rational Man by ?

  • Godey's Lady's Book and Magazine, 1855 (Jul-Dec), Vol LI, pgs
  • The Painters Wife by ?

  • Ballou's Pictorial, Drawing Room Companion, 1856 (Nov 15), Vol. 11, No. 20, Whole No. 280
  • Raphael by ?

  • Godey's Lady's Book and Magazine, 1857 (Jul-Dec), Vol LV, pgs 409-?
  • The Roman question. by Edmond About. Translated from the French by Mrs. Annie T. Wood. Edited, with an introduction, by E. N. Kirk.

  • Boston, J. E. Tilton and company, 1859. 308 p. 19 cm.
  • Chrisna; the queen of the Danube. by Joseph Xavier Boniface Saintine 

  • Translated from the French by Anne Toppan (Wilbur) Wood 
    New York, Delisser & Procter, 1859. 3 p. l., 9-127 p. 23 cm.
  • The Romance of the Mummy by Théophile Gautier(1)

  • New York, Bradburn, 1863
Anne T (Wilbur) Wood is listed in the following genealogy.
(There is an error in the listing. The author of Romance of a Mummy is Théophile Gautier(1))
Genealogy in Franklin County, Massachusetts
Town of Wendell
This site is designed to provide information useful in researching the genealogy and history of families that have lived in Wendell, Massachusetts. It includes information on archives and libraries, published and unpublished sources of information, and, whenever possible, indexes and online transcriptions of source material. Anything that relates to genealogy in Wendell is a candidate for inclusion or mention.

Much of this page will be under construction for some time to come. If you know of any resources that should be included, please let me know. You can also address any other comments or questions concerning this site to me, Robert V. Bremer, at

Good luck with your genealogical research in Wendell, Massachusetts. 

Wendell lies in the eastern part of Franklin County, and is bounded by Erving on the north, Orange and New Salem on the east, Shutesbury on the south, Leverett on the southwest, and Montague on the west. Wendell was organized May 8, 1781 from part of Shutesbury and part of the common lands called Ervingshire. On February 28, 1803, part of Montague and a gore of common lands lying between Wendell and Montague were annexed to Wendell.

In 1874, Elias Nason described the town of Wendell as follows: 

is a pleasant town of 539 inhabitants, occupying an easterly section of Franklin County, and bounded on the north by Erving (from which it is divided by Miller's River), on the east by Orange and New Salem, on the south by Shutesbury, and on the west by Montague. The surface is uneven, and rises at the north into a commanding eminence called "Bear Mountain," 1,281 feet above sea-level. The view from the summit of this elevation of the valley of Miller's River, here a beautiful stream, which winds around its northern base, is very fine. The centre of the town is the water-shed, from which some streams flow northerly, as Wickett Brook and Whetstone Brook, into Miller's River; and some southerly, as Swift River and Saw-mill River, into the Chicopee and Connecticut Rivers. These streams furnish an abundant water-power, and beautify the scenery.

The people are engaged in cultivating the soil, which is deep and strong; or in preparing charcoal, wood, and lumber for the market. The rock-maple flourishes here, and the manufacture of sugar receives some attention. The cultivation of fruit-trees has been too much neglected. The number of farms is 145; of acres of woodland, 2,485. The town has 13 saw-mills, several grist-mills, two postal centres (Wendell and Wendell Dépôt), five school-districts, a good public hall, a Congregational church (of which the Rev. B. B. Cutler is pastor), and a Baptist church without a pastor. The valuation is $195,465; the tax-rate, $2.60 per $100. The number of dwelling-houses is 137; and of voters, 149.

Wendell was taken from Shutesbury and Ervingshire; named from Oliver Wendell, Esq., of Boston; and incorporated May 8, 1781. The first church was organized Nov. 29, 1774, and the Rev. Joseph Kilburn ordained as pastor in 1783. He was succeeded by the Rev. Hervey Wilbur.

John Metcalf had a printing-press here, in which, among other works, an edition of Baxter's "Call" was struck off in 1814, pp. 116 12mo.

Mrs. ANNE T. (WILBUR) WOOD, author of "Romance of a Mummy" and other works, was born here in 1817.

Wendell is 90 miles distant from Boston; and the Vermont and Massachusetts Railroad passes through its northern section. L. G. Gould is the present town-clerk.

(Source: Nason, Elias, 1811-1887. A gazetteer of the state of Massachusetts : with numerous illustrations on wood and steel / by Elias Nason. -- Boston : B.B. Russell, 1874. -- p. 532-533) 

This Geneaology was taken from near identical listings on the following two web pages:

As stated before the geneaology, the above listing for Anne T. Wilbur is incorrect. French author Théophile Gauthier was the author of La Roman de la Momie (Romance of a Mummy)

The first translation of Le Roman de la Momie for Bradburn, NY, 1863 is attributed to Anne T. Wilbur(1). Here are book listings for the English translation of that title. (Although Anne T Wilbur is not listed explicitly as the translator of any of these editions, one mentions "M. Young" as the translator!)

  • Gautier, Théophile -- The Romance of the Mummy

  • Bradburn NY 1863 1st ed. Paper label on spine.
  • Gautier, Théophile --The Romance of a Mummy -- translated .. by M. Young.

  • London, Maxwell [1880]. 
  • Gautier, Théophile -- The Romance of a Mummy

  • Phil Lippincott 1882. Bright gilt stamped green covers. VG Early historical romance involving an archaeologist, a mummy, and a love spanning the centuries.
  • Gautier, T. -- The Romance of a Mummy

  • J & R Maxwell, 1886, first English edition, pictorial cloth stamped in gold and black.
(1) -- In correspondence (March, 2001) with Charles Brownson, Library Director at Arizona State University's East Campus Library, and the author of Raymond Sebond Again: Regarding Théophile Gautier, he indicates that Wilbur is the translator of Le Roman de la Momie and that it is believed that Anne Wilbur also translated under the pseudonyms Leigh, Wood, and Procter.
The translating talents of Anne T. Wilbur are briefly mentioned in the following article:

(Web version / PDF Version)
by Charles Brownson, former Humanities Co-ordinator, Collection Development
Arizona State University Libraries,Tempe, Arizona 85287
now (March 2001) Library Director at Arizona State University's East Campus Library

Rare Book Listings, with Anne T. Wilbur as Translator

SAINTINE, JOSEPH XAVIER BONIFACE: The Solitary of Juan Fernandez: or, the Real Robinson Crusoe. By the Author of Picciola. Translated From the French By Anne T[opan] Wilbur. ; Boston: Ticknor, Reed, and Fields, 1851. First edition in English 8vo, original blind-stamped brown cloth, gilt lettering. Fiction by the French writer Xavier Saintine (1798-1865) based on the adventures of Alexander Selkirk, whose famous story was also used by Steele, Defoe and Cowper, among others. The translator, an American woman, is not otherwise well known.

Xavier, M., Anne Toppan Wood (Wilbur): The Solitary of Juan Fernandez; or, The Real Robinson Crusoe... by the Author of Picciola... Translated From the French by Anne T. Wilbur ; Ticknor, Reed, and Fields. 1851. Boston., First edition of this translation. Cloth. Translation of: Seul! Sabin 75543.  Chapters include: The Royal Salmon; Alexander Selkirk; Maritime Combats; The First Shot; Declaration of War; Vengeance; Labors of the Colonists; The two Islands; The Sea Serpent; End of the History of the Real Robinson Crusoe; etc., Travels and Voyages SHIPWRECKED DESERTED ISLAND SOLITUDE Travels and Voyages

Saintine, X. B.: Solitary of Juan Fernandez; | or, | The Real Robinson Crusoe. | By the author of Picciola. ; Translated from the French by Anne T. Wilbur. Boston: Ticknor, Reed, and Fields, 1851. 141p. Yellow endpapers, brown cloth, publishers binding. Blind stamped. Has half-title page. Inscribed - "Jabez F. Wardwell with the affectionate regards of G.A.N. [or M.] 25 Dec. 1851. ADVENTURE.

Maturin Ballou -- Editor  --Boston: Maturin Ballou -- Publisher, 1856
Engraving on Cover. First Edition - Original Issue. Folio - over 12" - 15" tall. . This is an original , complete issue of 16 pages dated November 15, 1856 -- Vol. 11, No. 20, Whole No. 280 -- Illustrated with 19 wood cut engravings -- The Front Page has a beautiful ornate Masthead engraving of Boston Harbor with many ships, covers one third of the front page -- Featured on the Front Page is a half page engraving titled "State House,
Springfield, Illinois" (page 312 has 3 additional engravings of scenes in Springfield, a large article accompanies these engravings) -- Stories by Major Ben: Perley Poore, Fred W. Saunders, Mrs. Mary Maynard, Felicia Hemans, Anne T. Wilbur (The Painters Wife, Translated from the French for Balou's Pictorial) -- Pages 308 & 309 have 7 engravings depicting different items in "The Cosmopolitan Art Association Building" -- Many articles related to these engravings and other events

Images copyright Andrew Nash 2002, 2001
Back to Back to Jules Verne Collecting WebsiteCollecting Page.